Started thinking about buying your first ukulele? Then you must have a lot of questions, let us take a glimpse at the basic facts:
- No, you do not need to find a ukulele teacher right away. First of all, go to a local music store and try all types of ukuleles, to see how they feel in your hand. Let the store seller give you some directions.
- If you decide to buy one, there's a good news: on youtube you can find many great tutorials, of all kinds of music genres. From pop music, to evergreen songs.
- Get to know your new ukulele. The ukulele has an anatomy of parts slightly different than a guitar or other stringed instrument. Before you begin playing it, make sure you understand the basic characteristics of the instrument. You can check them here.
- Standard tuning is G C E A and only four strings. How cool is that, right?
- Learn how to tune it.
- Start learning chords.
- Once you’ve learned some basic notes and chords, putting them together may seem simple but requires a little timing. In order for your music to sound cohesive and melodic, it is important that you have good rhythm.
- Mastering it take some time to master, however, you will progress fast. You won't regret it, we promise!
Few additional reasons, why you should get yourself a ukulele (before summer!):
- You can practice anywhere you go
- It's easy
- It's portable and very cool